Where to get instruction?
You can get the training required for the bus driver's driving examination at
- a driving school
- a vocational education and training institute
- with a driving instruction permit.
Amount of instruction in categories D1, D, D1E and DE
|The sought right to drive||Category D1||Category D||Category D1E||Category DE|
|Form of instruction||Theory||Driving||Theory||Driving||Theory||Driving||Theory||Driving|
|Valid right to drive category B||15||15||27||40||-||-||-||-|
|Valid right to drive category C1 or C||9||10||15||30||-||-||-||-|
|Valid right to drive category D1||-||-||6||15||8||10||-||-|
|Valid right to drive category D||-||-||-||-||8||10||8||10|
|Supplementary amount of instruction (professional competence)||3||3||5||10||3||3||3||3|
You can take the driving examination based on supplementary instruction on the following terms:
- You have reached your professional competence and you have a professional competence card or a special condition for a professional qualification that has been issued at least one year before you take a driving examination. You have not during the previous year completed any other driving examination for a lorry or for a bus with a supplementary training.
- Your right to drive a bus has started before 10 September 2008 and you have a valid professional competence and you have not completed any other driving examination for a lorry or for a bus during the previous year with a supplementary training.
The driving instruction for a driving licence for a bus must include instruction based on the special features of the vehicle to ensure that the driver is in command of
- the correct use, handling and transportation of the bus in compliance with traffic rules,
- taking different traffic situations and environments into account and
- following a safe, economic, ecological and flexible driving style.
The training must also include
- first-aid training required for acting in an accident site and
- identification and avoidance of traffic incidents (instruction of anticipatory driving).
The driving instruction must include category-specific theoretical and driving lessons.
The instruction must follow a curriculum authorised by the Finnish Transport and Communication Agency (previously Finnish Transport Safety Agency).