This can be done at Ajovarma, or in certain cases you can use Traficom’s e-Services (External link).
If you renew your driving licence (your right to drive) no more than 6 months before the expiry of your current licence, your new licence will be immediately valid from the expiry date of your old one. Depending on your age and the category of your driving licence, it will be valid for 2, 5 or 15 years from the expiry date of your right to drive.
Renewal of a driving licence is not generally linked to driving school teaching or a driving examination.
- NB! However, you will have to take a driving examination again if it is over two years since the expiry of your group 1 (private car, scooter, moped, motorcycle, tractor) driving licence, or if it is more than one year since the expiry of your group 2 (lorry or bus) licence at the time you come to renew it.
Get a medical report if necessary
A medical report or comprehensive medical report (no more than six months old) must be supplied when renewing a driving license by everyone who will be
- over 70 years old when their current group 1 license expires
- 45 years old or older when their group 2 license expires
- renewing their driving licence after the expiry date of their current driving licence.
A comprehensive medical report for an older person takes into account the effects of ageing, illnesses and possible medication on driving health. A person's observation skills can be examined with different tests such as the clock-drawing test.
Different health requirements apply to people renewing group 1 and group 2 driving licences.
Group 1 (AM/120, AM/121, T, A1, A2, A, B, BE)
You do not need a medical report if your driving licence is valid until you 70th birthday and you renew it no later than on your birthday.
In order to renew your driving licence, you will need a comprehensive medical report (no more than six months old) regarding your driving ability if you renew your driving licence after your 70th birthday.
Group 2 (C1, C1E, C, CE, D1, D1E, D, DE)
To renew your licence you need
- a medical report on your driving ability if you are 45 years old or older when your current driving licence expires
- or a comprehensive medical report on your driving ability if
- you have turned 68 before visiting a doctor for the purpose of renewing your driving licence
- you are 68 years old or older, or you have your 68th birthday before your current driving license expires (the last day of validity of the licence to be renewed is your 68th birthday or a later date)
NB! If you have a group 2 driving licence (lorry and/or bus) which expires before your 45th birthday, you do not need a medical report when you renew your licence.
If you do not need to drive a bus or lorry, you can give up your Group 2 driving licence categories . This also means you do not need to provide a medical report.
When renewing your driving licence at Ajovarma’s service point please bring:
- your previous driving licence,
- 2 passport photographs (you do not need new pictures if you have a valid Finnish passport or identity card, or if you have supplied photos in 2013 or later for a driving licence, a driver card, a professional competence certificate, an ADR driving licence or a taxi driver’s licence);
- if necessary, a medical report or a comprehensive medical report (no more than six months old).
You can renew your driving licence via Traficom's e-Services. To renew you licence, you do not need a medical certificate if:
- you are no more than 70 years old and have a valid Group 1 driving licence or
- you are under the age of 44.5 years and have a valid Group 2 driving licence.
In all other cases, you will need to attach to your electronic application a medical certificate on your fitness to drive. You can retrieve the certificate from the Patient Data Repository if your physician has stored the medical certificate in the Repository using a separate form application.
The form application is available only in a few health facilities so far. Please check the matter with your health care provider.
For more information on other requirements for renewing your driving licence online, please visit the service Renew your driving licence. If you do not meet the requirements, you can renew your driving licence at Ajovarma (External link)service points.
Group 1: categories AM/120, AM/121, T, A1, A2, A, B and BE
Group 2: categories C1, C, C1E, CE, D1, D, D1E, and DE
A preliminary information form (External link) (for the patient)