Getting a driving licence for a tractor

You need a category T driving licence to drive a tractor. The licence also gives you the right to drive a snowmobile.

You can get the licence if you are at least 15 years old.

You can get the licence if you take the following two steps:

1: Driving licence permit

In order to obtain a tractor driving licence, you will need to get a driving licence permit from Traficom's service provider Ajovarma. You can apply for the permit at earliest at the age of 14. The permit is valid for three years. The driving licence permit is the prerequisite for taking a driving examination. You should apply for it in good time before booking a time for the theory test.

2: Driving examination

No mandatory driving instruction is required to obtain a tractor driving licence. However, practice materials for the Category T theory test are sold, for example, at Ajovarma offices (External link).

If this is your first driving licence, you must pass the 4-hour Training for candidates for first driving licences (EAS).

Theory test

You must pass the theory test of a driving examination to get a category T driving licence. You must be at least 15 years old before you can take the theory test.

When you arrive for your test, you will have to prove your identity with, for example, your passport or a photo ID card. You must also have with you a signed guardians' consent form for getting a category T driving licence if you are under 18 years old, and a certificate of the 4-hour Training for candidates for first driving licences (EAS) , if you are getting your first driving licence

Driving licence permit and theory test at Ajovarma offic

Ajovarma (External link) is Traficom's service provider. You can manage all application and permit issues related to driving licences at Ajovarma offices. Ajovarma also provides the driving examination services.

Booking an appointment in advance with the driving licence and permit services will save your time. Ajovarma's national customer helpline provides advice and service at +358 75 323 9999 on weekdays Mon-Fri at 8-15.45 (price of phone call: local network charge/mobile call charge) and by e-mail at inquiries(at) Click here to book an appointment. (External link)


Driving licence posted to your home address

When you pass your driving examination, you will be given a certificate entitling you to drive on mainland Finland for six months. This will serve as your driving licence when you present it with a photo ID. Keep the document with you until you receive your official driving licence.

The actual driving licence will be posted to your home address within a week of the examination.